Tanning, the myths, facts and benefits
Tanning salon use of sunbeds causes skin cancer – wrong – There is NO CONCLUSIVE SCIENTIFIC research to suggest that the use of sunbeds is accompanied with a higher risk of skin cancer.
Research has shown that in countries with the most annual sunshine, there are the fewest cases of Colon, Prostate and Breast Cancer – thus refuting the link between UV light and cancer CONVEYED by the MEDIA.
Some people are more at risk than others. Heredity plays a major role. If your mother, father, siblings, or children (first-degree relatives) have had a melanoma, you are part of a melanoma-prone family.
Each person with a first-degree relative diagnosed with melanoma has a 50 percent greater chance of developing the disease than members of the general public who do not have a family history of the disease. If the cancer occurred in a grandmother, grandfather, aunt, uncle, niece, or nephew (second-degree relatives), there is still an increase in risk compared to the general population, though it is not as great.
- There is no difference between natural sunlight and sunbeds; tanning salon sunbeds produce the same UV light as the sun.
- Research has shown that in countries with the most annual sunshine, there are the fewest cases of Colon, Prostate and Breast Cancer – thus refuting the link between UV light and Cancer conveyed by the media.
- Scientific studies suggest that drinking red wine or other alcoholic beverages carries a greater cancer risk than tanning.
- Tanning salon sunbeds have been categorised as “Group 1” – other things included in this category include red wine, salted fish and regular sunlight as well as mustard gas and arsenic. To say that a glass of red wine is as deadly as mustard gas is ridiculous, as is the comparison of sunbeds to such toxins.
- Sunbed use in itself has a number of health benefits. It is overexposure to UV light that causes health risks.
Benefits of Tanning Salons
- Tanning salon sunbed use can improve psychological wellbeing – it can increase confidence and self-esteem whilst also offering a source of relaxation.
- It can help alleviate the symptoms of SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) or Winter Blues. Many people experience depressive symptoms during Winter and these symptoms can be reduced through moderate sunbed use.
- Sunbed UV light helps to improve various skin conditions like Psoriasis, Eczema and Acne.
- The pleasant warming effect of sunbed treatments can soothe muscular aches and pains and help alleviate the discomfort associate with Rheumatism and Arthritis.
- Tanned skin protects you against sunburn, (SUNBURN is thought to be the main cause of melanoma). By using sunbeds, where the level of UV can be controlled, the risk of sunburn can be minimised.
- Using a tanning salon before your holiday can help the skin to develop a tan and thereby minimise the risk of sunburn while on holiday.
- Perhaps the greatest benefit of tanning salon sunbed use is its link to Vitamin D
- Sunbeds & sunlight are the main sources of your bodies ability to produce Vitamin D.
- Vitamin D is essential for good health.
- It lowers the risk of everyday infections like cold and flu as well as more fatal diseases, high blood pressure, Type 1 diabetes, multiple sclerosis and depression.
- Sunlight is the most effective way for the body to manufacture Vitamin D – indoor or outdoor.
- 6 out of 10 adults in the UK are Vitamin D deficient. – Studies suggest that regular, moderate use of sunbeds will raise the levels of Vitamin D in healthy adults by an average of 40%
Tanning in a sensible manner creates a whole host of health benefits.
It is OVEREXPOSURE that causes the health risks. In moderation sunbed use is good for you.
Check your account, book your minutes or register as a new client.
You’ll feel the difference the moment you enter The Tanning Room. Spotlessly clean rooms, highly trained staff and an extensive collection of indoor lotions and enhancers are just some of the things that will make your visit to our salons a fabulous experience. You can even relax and enjoy a complimentary refreshment in the event of a short wait.
Whether you’re new to indoor tanning or a regular, you’ll love our premium solariums that use some of the latest tanning technologies. Contact us now to learn more about how we can help you achieve your perfect colour.
Don’t have time to gradually build your tan through regular UV rays? Then a spray tan supplied by our industry leading products is the solution for you. In as little as 10 minutes, you can have a new, even spray-on tan from our trained professionals.